Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Me as Artist




We all create. We form sentences, prepare food, arrange objects, and develop relationships. I just don't know what makes any of it art. What changes a bunch of sentences into a timeless work of literature. What makes one drawing better than another. I don't know.


I've taken less than 5 art classes (probably 3 at least as an elementary schooler, one in high school and a theory class in college) and know little to nothing about making art or how that works. My techniques are only what I have after doodling. Yet that need to create occasionally grips me.



Not often, in truth, but occasionally. But I don't know what I'm doing, or how to do anything I might want to do. So I doodle. My students can attest to the fact that any four legged animal I draw except for a snake and snail everything has a round body, 4 legs, a round head and perhaps a tell tale type of ear or tail.


So why even talk about it if I can't do it and don't know what I'm doing.


Because I doodled and had fun.