Sunday, June 13, 2010

June Reading

First I was very intrigued by The Elegance of a Hedgehog, which I already posted about.
I decided to read Snow falling on Cedars second. It seemed tragic, and took place in winter so somehow that helped me decide to read it second. The imagery was great, and I really enjoyed some of the techniques Guterson used to mirror the stories between generations. The story is about a man of Japanese ancestry on trial for murder in the 1950s on a fishing island off of Seattle. He and his family had been taken to Manazar (Japanese internment camp) during the war and he had then enlisted as a US soldier. Other Caucasian men on the island had a very difficult time coming back from the war where they had fought the Japanese to an island where there were many Japanese families.
I just started Balazac and the Little Chinese Princess. Interesting topic, so I'm sure I'll finish it soon too!Posted by Picasa