Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Waiting and Weeding


Pumpkin, pumpkin, cucumber, and zucchini. That back fence with green monsters are just weeds. Don't get too excited. They're coming to get me.

Garden Update:

Perennials doing well:
  • strawberry
  • chives (moved one, it didn't even care!)
  • garlic
  • lilac
  • iris (looks like there is a white and yellow one so far, not yet opened....)
  • orange poppies
  • day lilies
  • mint
  • peony

Annual Seeds / transplants doing well:

  • radishes
  • sunflowers
  • tomato's (transplanted)
  • green bell peppers (transplanted)
  • jalapenos (transplanted)
  • dandelions

Planted Seeds and WAITING:

  • basil
  • shasta daisy
  • bibb lettuce
  • cilantro
  • carrots
  • pumpkins
  • cucumbers
  • zucchini
  • marigolds
  • rhubarb (transplanted and waiting to see how it does)

I hate waiting. While I stand out in the garden I look desperately to see what has come up. So I weed. Which for me is a NEVER ending job. I wish someday there would be a time where I could say, "Oh, only 5 more minutes and I'll be done weeding". How about five more years? It is so frustrating. I've made huge progress but as soon as one area is looking good, another area has dandelions up to my knees, grass dying, and that darn spready plant that takes over every 5 seconds.

I'm trying really hard not to use any chemicals because 1: I think it is bad for us, 2: I want to eat my food organically, 3: It's bad for the water table, 4: The chemicals can be expensive, and 5: Farmers did fine in the good ol' days, why can't I? So I keep weeding.

(and coming inside to blog when the wind and weeds drive me crazy)